Thursday, May 22, 2008

Microsoft and Monopoly - Made for each other

Hello world,

I'm back after a while with a new post; with my own take surrounding the hype generated by Microsoft's keenness to take over Yahoo Inc. Firstly, I oppose it vehemently(you might think who the hell I am, since I'm not even a shareholder, let alone a key stakeholder of Yahoo Inc) but this is an outsider's perspective. I might have got my facts mixed up so please all readers; correct me if I'm wrong.

Its taken close to 6 odd years for Microsoft to come out with a new product targeting the next generation of Operating Systems. When they finally did, Vista resulted... to be honest, the one time that I interacted with Vista, the only thing I found alluring about it was the eye-candy it presented. System resources were hogged like never before; doing a simple "System restore" felt like playing "Where in the world is Carmen San Diego" all over again; but with a colourful GUI. As if that weren't enough; I have come across more "above-average" techno-savvy people who prefer XP to Vista(myself included)... and wouldn't mind paying full-price for a registered copy of XP even if Vista came pre-installed with my new laptop.

The reason for my vent is this; Microsoft hasn't got the guts to admit that what they have here is a "all brawn, no brain" product; and instead of using their research department to vastly improve their product; are on a major buying spree... of all those open-source flunkies who've brought out these really funky applications, interfaces and the like. Its like "if we can't do better, let's buy 'em".

10 odd years ago it was anti-trust; now its monopoly... this new tactic seems to be a new strategy devised by the powers that be at Microsoft to try and show the world who's top-dog! Well, it sucks with a capital "S". I hope Yahoo don't give in to the temptation and end up giving up their stake... it would be a sad day for Open-source technology if that happened.

1 comment:

Amrutha said...

Hmmm...actually...Microsoft was always terrible. Just look at IE...it's no match to Firefox. I kept telling you, you wouldn't listen...now you say it yourself about Vista. I personally think Vista is the worst thing to happen to a PC in the last 15 years...it's terrible...