Tuesday, May 06, 2008

All that hoopla about "Go Green"

Australia's recent push to encourage the average citizen's active participation in fighting climate-change and environmentally sustainable activities is admirable among other things. However, this movement is also rearing in our own backyard, a few people that swear by "go-green" and what not to the point that they're becoming huge annoyances as well. My daily demand for a heart-starter(known in plain-speak as coffee) in a plastic cup is looked up on with disappointment and within seconds, accusations are abound as to how many trees or whatever it took to manufacture that cup and how by adding to my pile of previous plastic cups I'm worsening the current state of the environment and defeating the purpose of "global warming reduction". I'm like ... "Dude, if you want to be that aware of the environment, park your car at home, take a couple of buses and trains and get to work!", why you raining on my parade?" Seriously, people like that disgust me to the core! I challenge these people to stop using their heaters, air-cons and even their cars... all of which are pollutants of the highest order in different ways. Would they choose to dump their existing vehicles and go for hybrid cars which although readily available in Australia, are quite of reach of most people given their mid 30 grand price-tag? And they talk!!!

Let me tell you; I have nothing against the movement to "go-green" , au contraire; if someone told me that it was in the best interests of the whole universe to say stop eating chicken, I would... seriously I would! This is despite the fact that I love chicken and go weak in the knees when someone presents it to me in any cooked form! I believe each person is an environmentalist in his/her own deluded way; but you can't be environmentally concious in one way, and blissfully unaware and trigger-happy another... it doesn't work that way!

So here's my humble request to all you wanna-be and nouveau environmentalists(you guys are just as artificial as the nouveau riche!)... lay off and keep your "partial" views to yourself; I know how to save this planet from emissions in my own special way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! What she said! I need my Diet Mtn Dew in the morning and the styrofoam cup keeps the ice from melting, thus keeping it cold longer.